It’s been a While…

I guess some people think I’m not someone who has a lot to say because I don’t post that much… but that’s not necessarily true. I have a lot to say, I just don’t say it publically.

For a long time I’ve been afraid to actually say what I feel needs to be said. I’ve been afraid to voice my opinion and I’ve been afraid of the backlash when someone doesn’t like it.

I’m over it.

Not everyone in the world has to agree with you. I know that hurts. I would apologize but it’s all sticks and stones even though far too many people don’t seem to know what that even means anymore. There was a time when you could actually speak your mind without fear but that time is long gone. People hide behind “freedom of speech” but don’t let other people have the same liberty. If you tell me your opinion, be prepared to hear my opinion. If you don’t like my opinion or don’t want to hear my opinion, then do not tell me yours. If you want to tell me I need to educate myself on something, yet you’ve just spelled the entire sentence incorrectly, and I correct you, don’t be mad about me educating you after you just told me I need to be educated. This is all give and take. If you want to make fun of someone, you should be able to stomach someone making fun of you. Can’t? Then don’t.

Treat Others as You Want to be Treated. This used to be called the Golden Rule. It was taught to me in school at a young age. I’m almost positive this has since been removed from all stages of childhood learning.

Just because someone disagrees with you, doesn’t make them a horrible person. Another killer ego blow, I know. Your opinion is truly not the word of an almighty Deity of any kind. There are some opinions that really are just not good… and they are generally associated with bad people.. but this doesn’t apply to every single person who differs from you. This goes for stereotypes as well. Even though the majority of stereotypes come about from observations (of specific groups, genders, nationalities etc.) doesn’t mean that every single person in that group fits that particular mold.

“Americans are obese.” We all know this one? 36% of Americans are obese…. That leaves 64% that are not. 64% of the group in question doesn’t fit the stereotype. This applies to ALL stereotypes. There is always a portion of the group that does not fit the stereotype so lumping everyone together is not appropriate.

I’m Offended… Boo flippin hoo. “Cry me a river, build me a bridge and get over it.” <— this is what we said as kids to someone who’s feelings got hurt. If you do hurt someone’s feelings, the nice thing to do is apologize if it’s warranted and you really were wrong about what you said. But sometimes people take offence for absolutely no reason. At all. You’re “offended” because my dress is blue and you think blue is a sad color and you just don’t want negativity in your life right now? Uh… look away then because I’m not changing my dress to suit your unstable emotional needs.

If people were as offended over human (and animal) rights violations as much they are over personal opinions then we could probably change the world. Just sayin.

I’m guilty of some of these things. We all are. The most we can do is try to be better. Try to understand each other. Listen without speaking. Listen to understand not just to respond. Respond to educate not insult.

There. I’ve held that in for a while and now I’ve said it.

Be kind to one another. Be considerate. Be strong. Be brave. Be loving. Be compassionate. Be fearless. 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s